Le Printemps was founded in 1865 by Jules Jaluzot and Jean-Alfred Duclos. The original store was designed by renowned architects Jules and Paul Sédille and opened at the corner of Le Havre and Boulevard Haussmann in Paris, on 3 November 1865. What is called the Grand Boulevard dseigned by Hausmann. The building was greatly expanded in 1874, with a great novelty at this time: elevators. Rebuilt after a fire in 1881, the store became the first to use electric lighting, in 1888. It was also one of the first department stores with direct subway access, the Metro being connected in 1904. The first store outside of Paris was opened in 1912 in Deauville. Peter Laguionie, the son of Gustave, took the helm of the store in 1920, rebuilding it after another large fire in 1921. By 1970, there were 23 Le Printemps department stores and 13 Prisunic discount outlets. In the 1980s, the brand went global, opening stores in Japan, Istanbul, Jeddah, Dubai, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Le Printemps and its subsidiaries were acquired in 1991 by François Pinault and merged within the group Pinault-Printemps-La Redoute (PPR), now called Kering. In 1997, a complete renovation of the flagship store was completed. In 2006, PPR sold Printemps to the Italian Borletti Group (with equity partner Deutsche Bank), who made major investments to revamp the department stores. On 31 July 2013, Divine Investments SA (DiSA), a Qatari-controlled investment fund, announced it has bought Le Printemps.
Jules JALUZOT & Jean-Alfred DUCLOS